Fenugreek Seed or Methi seed is considered an amazing magical herb that can cure a number of ailments. The seed has been used since ancinet times. The ancient Egyptians and Romans used fenugreek seed for fevers, respiratory and intestinal problems, as well as wound healing and abscesses. Indian Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine recommend fenugreek to treat number of ailments like arthritis, asthma, bronchitis, sore throat. These seeds help in improving digestion, maintain a healthy metabolism, curing reproductive disorders, induce labor, help with breast enlargement, reduce menstrual pain, lowering blood glucose and cholesterol levels, and many more such health benefits. The fenugreek seed besides being used as a spice has multiple health benefits.
Home remedies using fenugreek/methi seeds
- Lowering Cholesterol: A study in India found people who took 2 ounces of fenugreek seed each day had significantly lower cholesterol levels after 6 months. The risk of heart attack was also reduced by more than 25%.
- Lowering Blood Sugar Levels and treating Diabetes: Studies have shown that participants with type 2 diabetes had significantly lower blood sugar levels after eating fenugreek.
- Cure for Skin Inflammation: It has been shown in studies that Fenugreek is an effective topical treatment for skin problems like boils, burns, eczema, gout and ulceration of the skin. Take a spoonful of fenugreek seeds and grind it into powder. Mix it with warm water to make a poultice and apply it directly onto the inflamed skin. (A poultice is simply a piece of cloth which is soaked into the warm water mixture and then applied to the skin).
- Treatment for Heartburn and Acid Reflux:Fenugreek seeds helps sooth gastrointestinal inflammation by coating the lining of the stomach and intestine. Therefore, fenugreek can be taken for an effective remedy against heartburn or Acid Reflux.
- Natural Remedy for Fever: It is said that when fenugreek herb is taken with lemon and honey, it helps in reducing fever and it nourishes the body during an illness.
- Fenugreek for Breast Enlargement: Fenugreek helps in balancing women's hormones and/or enlarge the breasts.
- Ease Child Birth for Pregnant Women: Fenugreek stimulates uterine contractions. So during maternity pain, it helps in inducing childbirth. Should only be taken under a doctor's recommendation.
- Helping in Milk Production in Lactating Women: Since ancient times, Fenugreek has used to increase milk production in lactating women. Research has even shown that milk production can increase by over 500% within 24 to 72 hours after consuming fenugreek.
How to take fenugreek / methi seeds?
There are various ways you can take fenugreek. When taken raw, the taste is bitter. However with regular intake, you become used to the taste.
- Take one teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds and swallow them with water in an empty stomach. Or you can have with juice or water before you start to eat.
- Soak it overnight and drink the water with fenugreek in next morning in empty stomach.
- Fry the seeds without oil and keep it in a bottle. Take a spoonfall with hot water every morning.
- Powder the fenugreek seed and store it in a bottle. You can sprinkle this powder on onto salads, in soups or other dishes like any other table condiment.
- Fenugrrek tea is another option. Brew a tea with the seeds. Start with a teaspoon of seeds in a tea basket and brew in hot water until the tea is comfortable to drink. This gives a refreshing taste. Some health food stores also sell herbal Fenugreek teas. which can be used instead of the green tea.
- Sprout the seeds in a seed sprouter or between moist paper towels for many days. You can add these sprouts to soups and curries. However do not let the sprouts grow for more than 3 days or they may become bitter.
- You can consume 1-2 teaspoons of Fenugreek seeds along with an herbal tea (such as green tea) as well.
- Last but not the least there are fenugreek tablets available in the medical shops. But nothing is better than the natural one. So you make your choice...
For Skin and Hair Care using Fenugreek Seeds, Check out Hair and Skin Care Using Fenugreek Seeds