Gout is a state of Arthritis. An increased level of uric acid in the body results in the formation of uric acid crystals, which leads to unbearable pain, redness and inflammation of joints, especially in the toes and this is a known as Gout. Gout is allied with high blood pressure, kidney illness, diabetic issues, atherosclerosis, and uric acid kidney stones. Besides toes, Gout can affect different body parts like ear, small joints on the hand, ankles, knees, or wrists. Symptoms of gout are like acute pain in the joints, swelling, intense tenderness and inflammation. Though high levels of uric acid in the body is the main cause of diet, other factors that lead to gout are heredity, excessive intake of protein, excessive consumption of alcohol, lack of physical exercise, and too much stress.
Natural Home Remedies for Gout
- Apples : Apples are considered a great remedy for Gout. Atleast consume one apple daily, apple after each meal. The malic acid in apples will help to neutralize the uric acid present in the body. This will also help in soothing relief from gout pain and inflammation. You can drink apple juice.
- Lemon: The citric acid present in lemon is a solvent of the uric acid. This helps in neutralizing the excess uric acid present in blood stream. Take the juice of half a lime and mix it in a glass of water. Take this 3-4 times a day.
- Cherry: Cherries are very helpful in gout treatment. The antioxidant property along with the presence of anthocyanins can reduce inflammation of gout. Eat fifteen to twenty cherries in a day. For effective result, start your day with some cherries. You can also consume a glass of cherry juice. Add few cloves of minced garlic in it. This will give you relief from inflammation and joint tenderness.
- Bananas: Bananas are also very helpful in treating gout because there are high amount of potassium in bananas which help in converting uric acid crystals into liquid form. Bananas are also abundant in vitamin C. Daily eat one banana and soon you will be able to notice improvement in your condition.
- Baking Soda: You can lower the uric acid with the help of baking soda. Mix half teaspoon of baking soda in one glass of water and drink it.
- Baking Soda and Lemon: Take the juice of one whole lemon and mix it with half teaspoon of baking soda. Leave for a few seconds and then add one glass of water to it. Drink this immediately.
- Ginger Root: Ginger root is another option for gout remedy as it contains inflammatory properties. You can add ginger root in cooking. You can eat a small raw piece of ginger root daily. You can add half a teaspoon of crushed ginger root to one cup of hot water, mix it and then have it. Another option is to make a paste of ginger root with the help of little water. Apply this paste on the affected area. This will also help to reduce the pain.
- Apple Cider Vinegar : Apple cider vinegar can also be used in the treatment of gout and arthritis. Mix one to two tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to one glass of water and drink it once daily. Follow this remedy daily until you get relief from pain. You can also take two tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar and mix it with two tablespoon of honey and have it two times a day, preferable in the morning and before going to bed. The acidic property of apple cider vinegar and anti inflammatory property present in honey will help to give you relief from the acute pain.
- Epsom Salt Bath: Epsom salt is another useful remedy for gout and other form of arthritis. Soak the affected body part in warm water mixed with Epsom salt. This relaxes the aching muscles and gives you relief from the pain. You can also have a hot epsom salt bath. Add two cups of Epsom salt to the warm water of your bathtub and soak your body in it. Try to take a epsom salt soak atleast once a week. The high amount of magnesium present in Epsom salt will also improve the condition of your heart and lower down the high blood pressure.
- Charcoal Salt Bath: Blend in an old tub, half cup of charcoal powder and water and make a paste. Place the affected foot into the tub and add water until the whole foot is soak into the charcoal paste. Keep your foot for 30 to 60 minutes. This will relieve you from the pain. This remedy is a good solution for ankle joint and big toe gout. You can also take activated charcoal capsules orally to get relief from gout pain and inflammation.
- Cold Water: Pour frequently cold water on the affected area. This will reduce the swelling as well as the pain. You can put cold tap water into a bottle and apply it to the inflamed swollen joints for few minutes. Repeat the process several times a day. Do not use ice pack or ice directly on the gout skin as it can damage the skin and make your condition worse. Ice pack can be used only when it it is wrapped in a towel first.
Natural Remedies for Uric Acid
Relieve Gout Pain Naturally
Unknown Benefits of Epsom Salt
Image source: aliaco.com